I don’t know if I was alone in this, but over this past Super Bowl weekend I couldn’t turn on the TV without hearing a story about the latest “craze” food for the big game: buffalo chicken cupcakes.
Yep…I had the same reaction.
But, as I was throwing a huge Super Bowl house party, I was looking for a novelty food that looked like a lot of fun to make. Obviously the buffalo chicken cupcakes fit right into that category.
I trawled the internet looking for the best recipe to try and came across the wonderful Cupcake Project blog (which YOU NEED TO CLICK HERE AND CHECK OUT)! Above all of the other buffalo chicken cupcake recipes, Stef’s was by far the most realistic (and may I add attractive…check out the photo of mine).
I had to share this recipe with all of you (because you have to try it), so I got in touch with Stef from Cupcake Project to see if I could share her wonderful recipe. She happily obliged and you can find it below!
Here’s the recipe, courtesy of Cupcake Blog:
Buffalo Chicken Cupcake Recipe
Yield: 10 cupcakes
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I recommend a hot sauce that is typically used for Buffalo chicken. Frank’s is the classic choice. I used Bella’s Medium Wing Sauce.)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
For the blue cheese buttercream frosting:
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan on medium-high heat, heat hot sauce and butter until butter is melted.
- Add the blue cheese and mix periodically until blue cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and mix in the sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg.
- Once the hot sauce mixture is cool enough to touch, mix the sour cream mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- In another small bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold the flour mixture into the hot sauce mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
To make the blue cheese buttercream frosting:
- Mix blue cheese on high speed until smooth.
- Add the unsalted butter and mix on high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.